Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 26, 2012

In the words of a great friend Herb Mayfield: My Gosh, My Golly.

In just a few minutes, at a little after 8:AM this morning I will become 60 years old.



Never thought of myself saying that....

I call my students, my experts, they see the world in a way that those of us have been around for a while have forgotten. I rely on their wisdom on a regular basis...



A few weeks ago somehow the subject of age came up in a class discussion. One little girl asked "Mr. Hutchens how old are you?" and I said I'm 59...to which she immediately replied."You know what my grandpa said about 59". To which I said no, what?

She replied "The only reason to be 59 is to give you a year to be prepared to become 60?.



My experts are correct again, it has made it easier to say 60.



I guess I feel 60, as I've never been it before, but I know that I've had a great run, met so many wonderful individuals all over the country and across the globe taking a little of each of our experiences that we have shared and made it in my own way mine.

2 comments:

  1. Doug,
    I have been 60 for about a half a year. You know the old saying, "the more things change, the more they stay the same?" Well you & I have this in common: today and each day,we are as old as we have ever been and as young as we will ever be again. So go figure: what has changed?
    Enjoy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are things I must take are of these days before I can enjoy myself
    But I did have a dream not long ago with "This is not a dress rehersal" being yelled at me.....

    ReplyDelete